11 Nov The Tel Aviv Twist: Unique Mediterranean Recipes
Chef Shares It All
Despite the booming culinary scene of Tel Aviv, there are just days you want to stay home and dine in the comforts of your own home. We spoke to culinary expert, Chef Mor Levy Gaier, to share some of her favorite unique, simple recipes to get your shaking pots and pans!
¼ medium watermelon cut into small squares
½ cup Calamata Olives
½ cup “Zfatit” Salty White Cheese
1 bunch finely chopped mint leaves
1 bunch finely chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 small red onion sliced thinly
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (long drizzle) Balsamic Glaze (condensed balsamic vinegar)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Chop all ingredients
2. Drizzle olive oil, balsamic glaze and toss them in a bowl.
3. Serve cold.
Raw Beet Carpaccio
2 medium, peeled beets sliced paper thin
2 cloves of garlic, grated
½ cup “fromaise” goat cheese – broken up loosely with fingertips
¼ box sunflower sprouts
1½ teaspoons white sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
3 tablespoons pine nut oil or excellent extra virgin olive oil
Atlantic Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1. Peel your beets and slice them as thin as you can.
2. Lay them on a plate in your preferred presentation.
3. Sprinkle sunflower sprouts and cheese loosely over the beets.
4. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar and grated garlic and mix to make the dressing.
5. Pour dressing over the Carpaccio, let it sit in the juice for 5-10 minutes and serve with some crusty sourdough bread.
Lemony Buttery Sea Bass
2 large fillets of sea bass (fresh from the market) (around ½ kilo)
4 tablespoons white flour
½ cup Riesling white wine
¼ stick of unsalted butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ bunch chopped cilantro
1 lemon – Juice and Zest
2 teaspoons small capers
1. Cover the fish fillets in salt, pepper, and flour.
2. In a hot skillet, pan fry them in olive oil.
3. After flipping the fish on skin and meat side, lower the heat and add butter, wine, lemon, and capers.
4. Let it simmer for a few minutes on medium-high heat until the liquids condense.
5. Plate the fish over steamed white rice and garnish with a healthy handful of cilantro.
Explore Other Helpful Articles
Tel Aviv Activities: Best Unique Things You Should Try
There are a host of fun, unique Tel Aviv activities to try when you're in the ...read more
Tel Aviv Port 6 Things to Do At The port
The New Namal The Tel Aviv Port, locally-known as Namal Tel Aviv, was restored to breathe a ...read more
Gourmet Tel Aviv: 6 Recommended Chef Restaurants
Tel Aviv - The Capital of Chef Restaurants Did you know that there are more restaurants ...read more
Hebrew Survival: Important Words & Common Phrases
Settle In Easy This Hebrew survival article will show you how to get around Tel Aviv ...read more